Sunday, June 24, 2012

Six Sentence Sunday: Casting Shadows

Posted by M.L. Falconer on 12:46 AM


So, what’s my excuse for missing Six Sentence Sunday sign up this time? I spent the day with my little buddy at the water park. The moment we walked through the gate I was thirteen again and we had a blast. Too much sun, however, has me nursing my poor lobster legs and extended forehead. Today would have been a good day to have hair, or sunblock that isn't expired.

We discovered the secrets of the Pipeline Mines and conquered Mammoth Canyon; I feel like a rebel so I’m posting Six anyway. I can hack the fine for posting against the grain.

This week’s Six follow directly after last week’s Six.  


Light beams from a small window cast shadows along the wall adjacent to the machine. Kate’s jacket and one shoe lay near the glow. There’s a presence here. Only when I’m writing have I felt it before. I sense movement out the corner of my eye. To my left, a rabbit scampers out from under a pile of crates, pallets and wet corrugated material flicking wood shards in its wake.

Thank you for coming by to read. Please visit the amazing talent pool at Six Sentence Sunday for some great reads. My long list of favorite Sixers can be found by clicking these: … Wendy S. Russo, L.J. Kentowski, Loni Flowers, Kelly SeguinMae Clair, Sarah Ballance, Melinda Dozier, and Krystal Wade.

For pink women everywhere, looking for a new hero, I give you my friend in prose, fellow Sixer Mackenzie Crowne, with a Sunday Six so touching and encouraging you could never question the uncertainty of your own strength again. I'm grateful, for my luck, to have met you and grown to know you through your blog, Mac. Your story is amazing; you're amazing, and I plan to toot your horn to anyone who'll listen. 

11 comments:

Somethings about to go down! Eerie scene Mel. Great Six!

For your sunburn, mix white vinegar and water (equal parts). Soak a washcloth and squeeze out the excess. Apply rag to sunburn. You might smell bad, but it works wonders on pulling out the heat of the burn and eases the pain. :)

Though I'm sorry you are sunburned, ML, I'm so glad you're a rebel and posted your six anyway. I posted a blackmarket six myself this week. ;-) Once again, I'm glad I stopped in. Your six had the hair on the back of my (non-sunburned) neck standing on end. Loni's right. Something is about to go down.

Thank you for your comments girls. I'm so glad my writing has the quality and desired effect.

Loni: I appreciate the sage advice very much. I have been smearing every lotion of every type that I can find in my medicine Cabinet with no relief in sight. I'll try the vinegar.

I do like your excuse for not signing up almost as much as your week's six. Have you by any chance ever played Half Life 2? Because this setting is, what I imagine HL 2 being in written form - very ego shooter-esque with a visual depiction, sensing of movement and casted shadows, and all about the sensory perception. Maybe that's a strange association, but that's what it reminded me of last week and also this week. Great job, and it takes me back... :)

Daniela,

I'm only familiar with Half Life 2 from things my son has told me. Based on that alone, I take your comment as a very flattering compliment. I'm sure I'll be astounded by it the more I research HL 2. I'm equally complimented that my writing touched on fond memories for you.

Thank you for your comments. I admire your writing to no end and that makes your compliments so much more staggering.

This is a beautiful piece, ML. Descriptive, languid, and engaging!

Wow...wonderful job of bringing the reader into the moment. Very strong visuals :-) Nice six, ML :-)

Hey Mel! Hope the sunburn isn't still giving you grief, but it sounds like it was well worth it!

Loved the six yet again this week! You have such an easy way of making a reader become part of the scene, no matter the setting.

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you came by.

Loni's sunburn remedy helped a lot. I'm finally able to move. ;)

Wonderful detail! Great job of setting the scene.

I'm glad you stopped by Eleri. It's great to have you visit, thank you.

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site

 
  • Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes

    Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes
    Available at Amazone.com for Kindle readers! Please check out this fantastic work from an amazing author! Some of the best writing you'll ever read!

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley
    One of my best writing friends, my muse and an amazing author. You won't be dissapointed ... find this NaNoWriMo winning book on Amazon.com. You guys gotta check this out!

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock
    An exciting title from a passionate new author! Available Now at Amazon.com!
  • Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski

    Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski
    Check out this work by an amazing author and a great friend. Guardian of Fate is available at Amazon.com

    Oblivion's Forge

    Oblivion's Forge
    An amazing dark fantasy read by Simon Williams. Get your copy at Amazon.com
  • Taking Chances By Loni Flowers

    Taking Chances By Loni Flowers
    Wonderful romance novel by a talented and inspireing author and a wonderful friend. Available in paperback and on kindle at Amazon.com

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano
    Book 3 of the Blood Skies series. One of the best reads you can buy! Available at Amazon.com for Kindle!

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter
    Check out new author Rachel Hunter and her debut novel!
  • Writer's Digest Community

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge
    M.L. has read 2 books toward his goal of 25 books.
    hide

    Goodreads Bookshelf

    Mel's bookshelf: currently-reading

    The Willows The Hunger Games The Shadow Rising The Dragon Reborn Moll Flanders The Pale Horseman

    More of Mel's books »
    Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

    My Bookshelf at Shelfari

    wibiya widget