Thursday, July 5, 2012

Independence Day

Posted by M.L. Falconer on 9:55 PM


Most July 4th celebrations, for me, were the rural kind. We lived 2 miles outside the city limits and 200 yards from the nearest house. Our meager fireworks haul was not much more than a few fountains, black snakes and poppers. I took my kids to the big show on occasion and there were the huge thunder booms I've come to expect from them. This year was different.

I was invited to a friends home and his fireworks alone trumped my entire collection from my boyhood. These things were no meager fountains. They were cannons. When dusk set, three houses down the block began their go, another display exploded over the park about a block west, and a monster display to the north kicked in. Soon, in turn and sometimes all those together, the entire block was playing some sort of strange orchestrated war movie in my mind.

The colors were beautiful, of course, though somewhere just beyond that, the smell of sulfur and brimstone, the explosions, squeals and pops, I couldn't help consider “this is how we celebrate our freedom, by recreating a war zone”? Short of dead bodies and rubble desecrating the streets, that's what it was. There was flack in the air, smoke screens, machine gun fire and screaming tracers zigging through the sky.

The “war” would swing close, right next to me at times, blips of muzzle flash in the street and hot shrapnel floating through the trees to burn my skin and ash my hair and people yelling “get out of there, Joe!” Then it would move away with far off booms of artillery cannons, distant M60 bursts and bright flares lighting the sky.

My thoughts floated above the smoke to the veterans, the PTSD combatants; I wondered how they feel about this block turned war zone. I could only conclude they would be diving for cover behind a couch bunker or sliding into a basement foxhole. There were moments that I had an urge to.

I have seen more war movies than I can count; listened to several sound effect enhanced, audio books on war. I can imagine it vividly, still, I could never truly understand what our troops face in war, though, for a brief slice I was there in the trenches with them. I can not fathom their bravery and sacrifice, on the home front as well as in combat.

I am so grateful for the lengths you have gone, what you have given up, and what you have given me and my children. In the most powerful, touching words I can recollect, from Saving Private Ryan, “I hope that I have lived my life in such a way that I have earned what you have done for me.”

3 comments:

This gave me chills. Thank you.

Powerful post, M.L.! I agree, 100%. We really cannot put into words what our patriots have done for us. They are our heroes through and through. It doesn't matter where they are or what post they have, they are working for our freedom. Great reminder!

Thank you for your comments, I'm glad you came by.

Post a Comment

  • RSS
  • Delicious
  • Digg
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Linkedin

Search Site

 
  • Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes

    Earthwalker: The Seduction of Decklan Holmes
    Available at Amazone.com for Kindle readers! Please check out this fantastic work from an amazing author! Some of the best writing you'll ever read!

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley

    Myth and Madness by K. Bran Bardsley
    One of my best writing friends, my muse and an amazing author. You won't be dissapointed ... find this NaNoWriMo winning book on Amazon.com. You guys gotta check this out!

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock

    The Enchanted Orchards by Kristin Maddock
    An exciting title from a passionate new author! Available Now at Amazon.com!
  • Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski

    Guardian of Fate by L.J. Kentowski
    Check out this work by an amazing author and a great friend. Guardian of Fate is available at Amazon.com

    Oblivion's Forge

    Oblivion's Forge
    An amazing dark fantasy read by Simon Williams. Get your copy at Amazon.com
  • Taking Chances By Loni Flowers

    Taking Chances By Loni Flowers
    Wonderful romance novel by a talented and inspireing author and a wonderful friend. Available in paperback and on kindle at Amazon.com

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano

    Soulrazor by Steven Montano
    Book 3 of the Blood Skies series. One of the best reads you can buy! Available at Amazon.com for Kindle!

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter

    Empyreal Fate by Rachel Hunter
    Check out new author Rachel Hunter and her debut novel!
  • Writer's Digest Community

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge

    2012 Reading Challenge
    M.L. has read 2 books toward his goal of 25 books.
    hide

    Goodreads Bookshelf

    Mel's bookshelf: currently-reading

    The Willows The Hunger Games The Shadow Rising The Dragon Reborn Moll Flanders The Pale Horseman

    More of Mel's books »
    Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

    My Bookshelf at Shelfari

    wibiya widget